Thursday, May 10, 2012

FUG YOU - ED SANDERS (NPR Story)

'Fug You': The Wild Life Of Ed Sanders


"I did everything myself," he says. "I drew all the stencils, I made ... what I called glyphs, which were based on Egyptian hieroglyphs, and I carried on a big correspondence with writers to get manuscripts. And it just seemed like turning that handle was a kind of religious experience. I don't know, it seemed to work. I put out all these magazines that I gave away free."

He gave them to writers and artists, some of whom would soon gain fame in the underground comic book scene. And he opened the Peace Eye bookstore, near Tompkins Square Park, where he recalls The Fugs drawing crowds of thousands to free concerts.

"The bookstore became pretty famous. It was the stopping off point for all visiting librarians and professors because I had a lot of well-known writers hanging out there — William Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg," Sanders says.

In his memoir, Sanders refers to the Lower East Side as a "little zone of revolution." He and several other founders of the Yippies lived there, and played key roles in the anti-war movement's "exorcism" of the Pentagon and the protests at the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago.

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/05/152029486/fug-you-the-wild-life-of-ed-sanders

----

Fug You: An Informal History of the Peace Eye Bookstore, the Fuck You Press, the Fugs, and Counterculture in the Lower East Side [Hardcover]

http://www.amazon.com/Fug-You-Informal-Bookstore-Counterculture/dp/0306818884

 



FATTENING FROGS FOR SNAKES 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, and for your feedback. Please support John Sinclair. Love, steve