Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Detroit Bluesman Howard Glazer talks about Honeyboy Edwards, John Sinclair, and Motor City Blues



Read the full interview HERE.

Detroit Bluesman Howard Glazer talks about Honeyboy Edwards, John Sinclair, and Motor City Blues

Posted by Michalis Limnios BLUES @ GREECE on May 25, 2011 at 3:00pm

Tell me a few things about your meet & work with John Sinclair

I first met John Sinclair in the 1980's I had a band called What If Thinking, and we played a show with a couple of bands he managed. Of course almost my whole life growing up I had heard about him, the White Panthers, The MC5, The Stooges (both bands I had been listening to since I was about 8 or 9 years old- thanks to my older brother Steve). Plus he's always been and still is a big activist for the legalization of Marijuana. The MC5 were a major influence on my musical way of thinking and my guitar playing. What a great band!

John Lennon & Yoko Ono came to Ann Arbor, Michigan and did a "Free John Now Concert (I think in 1972) and a day or 2 after John was released from Federal Prison. He was given some crazy long prison sentence for 2 joints.

So when I met John it was a pleasure and an honor, and the fact that he liked my band was even cooler! He even ended up managing my band What If Thinking.

A few years later I started seeing him perform with his "Blues Scholars" and became very interested in the way he put his poetry over blues & jazz. When we recorded Wired For Sound we had an instrumental jam that from the moment we recorded it I thought to myself (this should have John Sinclair on it" and I got a hold of him and he said «I would love to do it". We were in the studio after he did his track and we played him Detroit Blues Party and he heard Honeyboy Edwards and said I want to be on a track with Honeyboy, I have a poem right here about Honeyboy so we added him to that track as well, So that track became the final song on the CD - Detroit Blues Party Reprise.


http://blues.gr/profiles/blogs/howard-glazer-interview

FATTENING FROGS FOR SNAKES 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, and for your feedback. Please support John Sinclair. Love, steve