Thursday, February 6, 2014

CHU and the story of Mohawk by CHU

Mohawk inner sleeve designed by Chu

I’m happy to announce the release of my second sleeve design. The result of many months of digital sculpting, research and free-form thinking, then to realise it for output as the whole package. Whilst developing another technique of three dimensional freehand, I stumbled across a capability to construct organic matter too (humans/animals/plant material). A revelation! I can draw people, and fight as I might – there’s more than one occasion it hasn’t hurt one bit.

Concept

So, there were three words to guide me; Mohawk, John and Sinclair. This began as a replica of Thelonious Monk’s 1968 album sleeve for ‘Underground’. The art direction won a Grammy Award for Best Recording Package the following year, so it obviously ruffled a few feathers. John’s poetry is centred on the very same era and world that Monk would inhabit. I drew visual inspiration from the be-bop culture as a whole, the dress sense, the venues, the back stage stories – as much as I was looking at John’s world too, Detroit-us. My old friend and ally Steve “Fly” Pratt was the producer for the album and gave me invaluable guidance and a third eye into the artwork.

PLEASE VISIT CHUs WEBSITE FOR MORE IMAGES AND DETAILS:
http://www.schudio.co.uk/blog/2014/mohawk-by-john-sinclair/

FATTENING BLOGS FOR SNAKES 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, and for your feedback. Please support John Sinclair. Love, steve